How To Get Rid Of Pavement Ants On Your Lake Orion, MI Property
Ants in Lake Orion are the ultimate invaders. They are so small that they can literally slip in through the many cracks that can be impossible to account for around a property. That’s why it’s important to learn how to properly reduce your risk of infestation and respond quickly to an invasive population before it leads to larger issues with effective pest control in Lake Orion.
What Are Pavement Ants?
Pavement ants are a non-threatening species of ant that are incredibly common. Small and black in color, these ants are the ones you most often see crawling around the cracks in the sidewalk or driveway, which is the behavior that lends their name. Unlike carpenter ants that can cause damage or fire ants that can cause painful stings, pavement ants aren’t considered dangerous pests. That doesn’t mean, however, that they are without problems. All pests can lead to bigger issues if left unchecked, and no one wants ants invading their home or business. One pest population often leads to more. That’s why fast action is better than waiting for a pest infestation to grow out of control.
Are They Dangerous?
Again, pavement ants in Lake Orion aren’t exactly dangerous, but they can still cause you problems. Here are some issues that are associated with ant populations of all kinds:
- Contamination: Pavement ants are foragers that are attracted to food sources all over a property. That means they can contaminate packaged goods, trash bins, and other places where scraps are accessible.
- Population: Ant colonies are truly massive networks of bugs. Ants reproduce in the hundreds or thousands, meaning a population on your property quickly grows in size.
- Other Pests: As ant populations grow, they attract other pests to your property, too. Namely, the pests that eat bugs, like spiders and birds.
Pavement Ant Prevention Tips & Tricks
To curb those problems, you need to take steps to keep ants off your Michigan property before they have a chance to grow in number. To do that, you need to focus on factors that attract ants to your property and ways that they can make it inside:
- Food Storage: Make sure you don’t leave food out or crumbs around, as these are easy food sources that provide aromas for ants to follow inside.
- Trash Storage: Food waste is another common attractant, which can be found both indoors and out in your yard.
- Crack Sealing: Pavement ants are known for their ability to squeeze through cracks and they prefer tight spaces. Regularly check your exterior walls for cracks and seal them up as needed.
- Windows & Doors: The other common access point for ants to take advantage of are torn window screens or gaps around doors that they can easily crawl through. Repair faulty screens quickly and install door sweeps and weatherizing systems to seal up your doorways.
Let Wells Pest Control Keep You Pest-Free
Trying to keep ants away from your Lake Orion home can feel like a hopeless cause. They are so good at slipping in and surviving without you paying them much attention that even careful property owners can wind up with an ant infestation. That’s why the best form of ant control comes from professional treatments and services by trained experts. At Wells Pest Control, we can help you address the numerous factors that attract ants and other invasive pests. We not only provide you with helpful tips like these, but we’ll also offer effective treatments that protect your property’s perimeter and ensure that bugs stay away. If ants are already a concern, don’t wait for the problem to become worse before you turn to effective measures like the ones we offer. Contact Wells Pest Control today to get started and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Lake Orion.