Should I Be Scared Of The Stink Bugs Living In Lake Orion?
Stink bugs in Lake Orion aren’t something to be scared of, but you should be cautious when dealing with infestations of this pest if you want to avoid a stink bug problem getting out of control and smelling up your property. Lake Orion pest control and specific prevention tactics can help deter stink bug invasion.
What Is A Stink Bug And What Do They Look Like?
A stink bug is a type of insect known for its smelly odor when crushed or threatened; the smell is often described as reminiscent of burnt tires but may also smell strong and herby to some. Stink bugs in Lake Orion typically grow to about five-eighths of an inch in length, and their body has a distinctive shield shape with three body segments and six legs. In coloration, stink bugs are generally light to dark brown with irregular black speckling on their bodies, white undersides, black legs, and white banding on their antennae and the sides of their abdomens.
What Attracts Stink Bugs?
Stink bugs are attracted to many things around human structures, and it is vital to learn what they are and reduce these factors if you want a chance at keeping stink bug infestations at bay. Like most other pests, accessible food sources around your property attract stink bugs as they love fruit and may invade outdoor fruit and vegetable patches or your trash cans in search of food.
Additionally, stink bugs are attracted to lights and reflective surfaces, especially at nighttime, and they love to invade areas with plenty of moisture or humid conditions. The smell that stink bugs emit off attracts other stink bugs to your property to mate, so it is essential to stop this pest and quell their numbers before it becomes uncontrollable.
Do Stink Bugs Bite?
Fortunately, stink bugs don’t bite or carry any venom or bacteria into your home. However, some individuals may be allergic to the smelly spray that stink bugs release, which is why pest control for stink bugs that remove this nuisance pest is necessary. You likely have this allergy if you experience typical allergy symptoms or dermatitis when coming into contact with stink bugs.
How To Keep Stink Bugs Away From Your House
Learning how to get rid of stink bugs can seem overwhelming, but with help from Wells Pest Control and some expert prevention tactics, you can keep stink bugs away from your Lake Orion home.
Steps to deter stink bugs from invading include:
- Seal the cracks around windows, doors, and foundation of your home, using weather stripping and window and door screens to stink bug-proof your property completely.
- Fix leaks and drainage problems that lead to excess moisture or humid conditions around the interior and exterior areas.
- Store leftover food properly, refrain from leaving out dirty dishes, and promptly clean up food and drink spills to help reduce attractants for hungry stink bugs. It would help if you also sealed all trash bags up tightly to prevent scavenging.
- Use motion-senor lights outside your home to prevent stink bugs from being attracted to always-on lights overnight.
- Protect your garden against stink bugs by using traps and covers for your plants where possible.
If you need more help battling a stink bug infestation and removing widespread infestations of this pest, reach out to Wells Pest Control immediately. Our team is ready to help you remove all traces of stink bugs and reclaim the peace of your home.