Why Do I Have Stinky Ants In My Lake Orion Home?
You know the saying, "smell something, say something?" Well, if you smell something funky in your home and it's ants, you should definitely say something. Odorous house ants are a common household ant found throughout the United States.
These pesky critters produce an odor that smells like rotten coconuts, and it's pretty terrible. If you're dealing with an odorous ant infestation, call a Lake Orion pest control firm to take care of the problem, and have your home smelling fresh again in no time.
Why Do These Ants Stink When I Squish Them?
Odorous house ants in Michigan are a species of ant called Tapinoma Sessile, and they're about 0.14 inches long. Unlike other species of ants that have a stinger or bite to defend themselves, this type of ant doesn't do either.
Instead, it emits an odor from its abdomen when threatened. The smell is awful to humans, but it's a deterrent to predators like birds and spiders. If you're experiencing an infestation of odorous house ants in your home, don't worry, but their smell can be pretty unpleasant.
Are Odorous House Ants Bad?
No, odorous house ants are not harmful to humans. However, their smell can be pretty unpleasant, especially if you're dealing with a sizable odorous house ant infestation. To prevent an infestation, it's crucial to understand why stink ants invade your home in the first place.
Some of the reasons why stink ants visit your home include:
- Moisture and Humidity: If your home has damp or humid areas, it may become an attractive place for odorous ants to nest.
- Food: Odorous ants are omnivores, which means they'll eat anything. They're especially drawn to sweet and sticky foods, but they'll also scavenge for proteins, fats, and other nutrients.
- Shelter: Since odorous ants prefer warmer environments, they may seek refuge in your home if the temperatures outside are too cold.
The best way to get rid of odorous house ants is to get professional help from a pest control company. They can locate the nest containing the odorous house ant queen in your home and eliminate the problem.
How Can I Quickly Get Ants Out Of My Home?
Most pest control experts recommend prevention as the best way to keep ants out of your home. But if you're dealing with an odorous ant infestation, there are other steps you can take:
- Ants will often enter homes through cracks in walls or window sills, so seal them up as soon as possible to prevent more from getting inside. If necessary, use caulk or other sealants to close up the gaps.
- Remove potential food sources by keeping your kitchen clean and taking out the trash regularly. Ants are especially drawn to sugary foods, so avoid leaving sweets or sticky snacks out in open areas.
- Fix any leaks or moisture problems in your home as soon as possible, as this will also attract ants. You should also ensure that your gutters are clean and draining properly.
- Have regular pest control treatments done in your home to keep ants from invading.
If you're still having problems with an odorous house ants nest in your home, call a reputable home pest control company to come out and take care of the issue for good. They'll be able to locate where these critters are nesting in your home so they can get rid of them once
What Is The Best Way To Prevent Ants?
The best way to prevent ants from entering your home is by using the simple precautions we've mentioned above. However, these measures work best with regular pest control treatments done by professionals. Wells Pest Control is your one-stop shop for all odorous house ant control and prevention services in Michigan. Visit our website today to learn more about our products and services.